How important if Fleet Management in the Construction Industry? We decided to gain some insights from fleet managers:
Advantages of Effective Road Risk Strategies by Fleet Managers
- Effective control over costs such as insurance premiums, fuel bills and repair costs.
- Ability to make informed decisions about purchasing vehicles and training drivers.
- Less time on paperwork, lowered vehicle repair and maintenance bills
- Reduced likelihood of an employee being involved in an accident.
- Reduced running costs with employees driving more professionally and efficiently.
- Drivers less fatigued and healthy
Objectives of Fleet Safety Initiatives
- Vehicle accident prevention
- Accident investigation /analysis and reporting
- Improved safety on the road
- Driver education and driver alertness
Technology and the possible impact on Fleet Management and Road Safety
Fleet Management companies invest large amounts of research and development – enabling operators to have better control over their fleets. Onboard computers provide fleet managers with detailed reports on the behaviour of both driver and vehicle. These reports are used to modify driver behaviour and can also be used in accident prevention, accident analysis and reconstruction.
The most important technologies to impact on road safety are:
- The Tachograph – used effectively in many countries for the commercial transport of goods and passengers. Data recorded include driving time, road speed, distance travelled, engine load etc.
- The Accident Data Recorder – developed to provide details on the causes of accidents.
Advantages of effective Onboard Technology for Road Safety
- Accident Data and Analysis provide evidence
- Accurate reports save time in accident reconstruction and legal proceedings
- Effective Control by the Fleet Manager
- Driver behaviour can be monitored and short – comings addressed
- Reduction of Liability and Maintenance Costs