How much fuel may I legally transport?
Question: Could you please provide me with some guidance on the transportation of petrol/diesel by individuals for personal use?
- What is the permitted quantity allowed to be transported?
- Do you need a special license to transport small quantities (10l)?
- Are you required to transport the fuel in a special container?
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
The transport of petrol up to 500 litres and diesel up to 1000 litres are exempt from the dangerous goods provisions in terms of reg 276.
I copy the exemption for fuel for automotive purposes.
7.4.3 Exemptions related to the transport of liquid fuels
The requirements of this standard shall not apply to:
- a) fuel contained in tanks of a vehicle performing a transport operation and intended for the operation of any of its equipment with the following restrictions:
- when contained in tanks permanently connected to the vehicle’s engine or auxiliary equipment (or both), it shall not exceed the quantities specified in table 2; and
- when contained in portable fuel containers (such as Jerricans), a maximum of 60 L may be carried per vehicle, or combination of vehicles;
Table 2 — Exempted vehicles
1 2 Transport unit Maximum quantity L Drawing vehicle 1 500 Combination 1 500 Trailer 500
- b) fuel contained in the tanks of vehicles or of other means of conveyance (such as boats), which are carried as a load, where it is destined for their propulsion or the operation of any of their equipment. Any fuel cocks between the engine or equipment and the fuel tank shall be closed during carriage unless it is essential for the equipment to remain operational. The load shall be loaded upright and secured against falling; and
- c) the goods are moved between adjacent premises, not more than 1 km apart.